A Winnipeg Police identification officer searches for evidence in the 500 block of Boyd Avenue in Winnipeg Sunday September 25, 2011 after a deceased male was found on the boulevard approximately 4 a.m.
Credits: (BRIAN DONOGH/QMI AGENCY)
Cops were called about 4:20 a.m. Sunday after a passerby spotted a male lying injured outdoors and found the deceased male upon arrival.
The street was taped off to traffic all day as identification unit officers combed the area for evidence. For part of the day, police had deployed a small tent to work under.
Winnipeg Police Service public information officer Const. Natalie Aitken said Sunday police expected investigators to keep the street closed as they worked, likely until Monday.
"We are treating this incident as a homicide and we are investigating it as a homicide," Aitken said. "Unfortunately, any other details with respect to that wouldn't do any justice for our investigators at this time."
Police released little information about the victim or what could have led to his death.
They would only say the victim is an adult male but offered no information as to what type of attack could have caused his death or what injuries he sustained.
Early Sunday, one man was seen in handcuffed in the area, but police said later that no arrests had been made in connection with the killing, Winnipeg's 32nd homicide of 2011.
Sunday's victim was found a block away from where a man was fatally shot last October in a north end shooting spree that left two men dead and young girl in critical condition. Last year's triple shooting remains unsolved.
Local resident Gloria Easter said the slaying has left her and family members shaken.
"I woke up to sirens and it was pretty scary," Easter said. "I'm scared for my life. I don't want to walk around here at all now and I'd like to move away."
Police said an autopsy will be conducted in coming days.