Police outside the Eaton Centre following the June 2, 2012 shooting.
Credits: Craig Robertson/QMI AGENCY
PORT HOPE, Ont. - A "great kid" is recovering in a Toronto hospital after being shot in the head when a gunman opened fire at the Eaton Centre on Saturday evening, killing one and wounding seven.
A 25-year-old man was killed in the gunman's barrage in the centre's food court around 6:23 p.m.
Relatives say a 13-year-old Port Hope boy was one of the seven wounded in the shooting, and is in critical but stable condition after undergoing surgery.
One relative who spoke to QMI Agency said she had heard the news about the shooting and was watching television coverage when she received a phone call.
"She told me my relative's son was one of the ones injured," the woman said.
Toronto Police said the boy was visiting Toronto on a shopping trip with family.
Since then, relatives have been on edge, waiting for any updates on the his condition.
"You don't know what's going on," the relative said. "You hear a bullet to the head and you just don't know what's going on.
"It's just a matter of finding out surgery went OK, and the bullet's not in a bad spot and everything's going to be OK."
On Sunday morning, the woman heard briefly from another relative that the surgery looked promising.
"It looks optimistic and hopefully that's a good sign that everything went OK," the woman told QMI Agency.
The shooting of innocent victims in Toronto has sparked outrage in Toronto and especially among the relatives of victims.
"You don't expect you're going to send your kids up there and that's going to happen," the woman said.
"I just pray to God he comes out of this and everything is OK."