People observe a moment of silence during a candlelight vigil at Dundas Square across the street from where the shooting took place at the Toronto Eaton Centre shopping mall in Toronto, June 3, 2012.
Credits: REUTERS/MARK BLINCH
The latest victim, a 22-year-old man, who has not been identified due to a court-ordered publication ban, died at 7:04 p.m. Monday as a result of his injuries, Toronto Police said.
An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday on the victim, who was hospitalized after suffering serious wounds in the June 2 shooting at the Eaton Centre food court.
Ahmed Hassan, 24, was also slain and five others, in addition to the man who died Monday, were also injured by gunfire.
The dead men, along with Christopher Husbands, 23, who's been charged with the shootings, are all thought to have ties to the Sic Thugs street gang.
It was unclear Monday night whether charges would be upgraded as a result of the the most recent death.
Meanwhile, a 13-year-old victim of the shooting has been released from hospital after he was struck in the head by a stray bullet.
Toronto Police say the Port Hope, Ont., boy was well enough to check out of the Hospital For Sick Children on Sunday.
"It's excellent news," Const. Tony Vella said Monday.
The boy's name can't be revealed because a justice of the peace imposed a publication ban last week preventing the naming of all surviving victims of the mall shooting.
But his family has said the youngster was visiting Toronto with his mom and older sister on the day of the shooting.
The shooting may have been retaliation for an assault in February in which Husbands was beaten, stabbed and robbed.
Most of the innocent bystanders at the Eaton Centre suffered fairly minor injuries, and were treated and released from hospital within 48 hours.
But the 13-year-old boy was rushed to the Hospital For Sick Children, where he underwent "complicated" neurosurgery, according to his family. A piece of his skull had to be removed because of swelling to his brain.
"But he's back home with his family now and he's doing well," Vella said.
Meanwhile, police are reminding any shoppers who left belongings behind in the mall to call 416-808-7400 if they wish to retrieve the items.