A garbage bin where a man was found in critical condition after a brutal assault Saturday, July 7, 2012.
Credits: James Turner/QMI AGENCY
WINNIPEG -- Two teens are charged and a young Winnipeg man is clinging to life after being severely beaten, placed in a putrid west-end dumpster, covered with trash and left to die.
Arrests came quickly in the disturbing weekend assault, and a 17-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl -- believed to be brother and sister -- are now accused of attempting to murder the 23-year-old victim, police said Sunday.
Further arrests are possible and the investigation is ongoing.
Cops were called to check on a man found in an garbage bin around 8:40 a.m. Saturday.
He was rushed to hospital and remains in critical condition, having suffered multiple injuries as a result of the attack inflicted on him by people he knew, police said.
The sons of the woman who made the grim dumpster discovery said she was taking an old mattress to the bin when she heard faint noises.
"She heard some sound, like, 'Umm, umm,'" Manik Gurung said. His older brother, Dill, said his mom thought it was possibly a dog and shifted some trash around to see.
"She just saw a hand and (a) face -- it was so pale, so pale," Dill said. "(She) thought maybe he was hurt. When she saw that she was so scared."
The woman ran and asked her son to call 911.
"I saw someone in the garbage," she said, according to Manik.
Police who later came to speak with her said the victim had been beaten so badly he could barely move.
"That's why he didn't have the energy to crawl out of the garbage," Manik said.
Neighbours said police spent most of Saturday in the vicinity of the dumpster gathering evidence.
Forensic identification officers were seen attempting to gather fingerprints off the bin and discarded debris left nearby.
A piece of blood-smeared cardboard and bloody Kleenex inside the filthy bin were the only remaining traces of the assault by Sunday afternoon.
Police located and arrested the 17-year-old suspect around 11:30 p.m. Saturday in the same area of the attack and charged him with attempted murder.
His relative was collared on Sunday and also held at the Manitoba Youth Centre on the same charge.
Police say the accused boy was conditionally free in the community on probation at the time of the beating.
He was also wanted on an outstanding arrest warrant issued June 7 for failing to report to probation officials, police said.
His probation stemmed from a mischief under $5,000 conviction last winter, police said.
Neither accused can be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
The girl has had "minimal" police involvement in the past, said police.
Investigators learned the victim was beaten by the people he was was with, Michalyshen said.
Police continue to try and work out the motive behind the violence.
"There's no question this was a very violent attack," Michalyshen said.
"Given the nature of the assault and the fact that this individual was placed in a garbage bin and the nature of which he was placed in the garbage ... certainly took things to another, extreme, level,"
Michalyshen said, describing why attempted murder charges were ultimately warranted and approved by the Crown.
There was no immediate indication of any gang-related link to the assault, said police, but the area where it occurred is well-known for outbreaks of street gang-related violence.
In June 2008, gang members brutally beat a 13-year-old boy and left him for dead in a Furby Street dumpster -- just a few blocks west of the location of Saturday's attack.
The major assault was committed as the youth's "beat-in" initiation into the Garden Hill Krazies gang, court heard.
While initially there were fears the boy had suffered permanent brain damage as a result, he made a near-miraculous recovery.