Kaelen Vinet,4, hugs RCMP Cst. Kathryn Morrison, with brother, 3, after a press conference detailing the arrest of Randall Hopley.
Credits: DARREN MAKOWICHUK/QMI AGENCY
VANCOUVER -- A BC Supreme Court judge is expected to decide Thursday whether confessed child abductor Randall Hopley can be considered a dangerous offender.
Government lawyer Lynal Doerksen said if the judge approves the Crown application for Hopley, the abductor of a Sparwood toddler in September, he would have to undergo psychiatric evaluation for 60 days.
“It’s just based on the facts of the case and his history,” Doerksen said.
A decision is expected early Thursday afternoon, and approval means Hopley could be handed an indefinite sentence.
The 47-year-old is charged with abduction, kidnapping, break and enter and possession of stolen property.
Three-year-old toddler Kienan Hebert’s disappearance for four days sparked an inter-provincial manhunt for Hopley last year before the boy was returned, unharmed, to his home.
Hopley was arrested two days later near the BC-Alberta border.