Credits: CARMINE MARINELLI/QMI AGENCY
VANCOUVER -- The Langley, B.C., RCMP detachment was partially evacuated Monday morning as the Mounties’ bomb squad dealt with a suspicious package — the seventh such scare to hit Metro Vancouver in less than two weeks.
The streets surrounding the detachment were blocked off after the force’s explosive disposal unit (EDU) was called in to retrieve an item from a vehicle towed to the station.
RCMP spokesman Cpl. Patrick Davies said police brought the vehicle to a secure bay inside the building earlier that day following reports it was involved with “suspicious activity.”
It was only after police began examining the vehicle they learned there might be something suspicious inside.
Davies added the EDU removed the device, which was ultimately “rendered safe,” and police operations weren’t interrupted in the detachment, despite parts of the building being cordoned off.
He didn’t confirm reports of a small explosion heard outside the detachment after the bomb squad arrived.
The Langley incident was the latest the EDU had responded to since Nov. 2 after bomb scares were reported in Delta, B.C., and at five SkyTrain stations.
Davies said it is the first time in “a long time” the EDU had been called to the city.
“I’ve been in Langley nearly 10 years and it is not common for Langley at all. It’s a very safe, quiet community,” he said.
Darryl Plecas, University of the Fraser Valley criminology professor, said the recent spate of bomb scares to hit the Lower Mainland is most likely coincidence. He added police and citizens are often on high alert after reports of suspicious packages, which is probably why the EDU has been fielding so many calls lately.