Puffer fish, also called Fugu, which are one of the deadliest animals on Earth
Credits: REUTERS/Gleb Garanich
Autopsy results are not yet in for Noemie and Audrey Belanger but a hospital director in Krabi, Thailand, told The Phuket News he arrived at his theory following a preliminary examination of the women's bodies.
Dr. Komkrit Phukrityakame said the Quebec sisters may have been victims of food poisoning after eating puffer fish, also called Fugu, which are one of the deadliest animals on Earth.
The spiked fish contain a strong toxin that's 100 times deadlier than potassium cyanide if not properly prepared by specialized chefs.
The fish can kill an adult in less than an hour and there is no antidote, but they are still considered a delicacy in Japan and other parts of Asia.
Bangkok police suggested the two sisters suffered "severe food poisoning" after they ate at a restaurant last Tuesday. The pair returned to their hotel room on Phi Phi Island, a popular tourist spot in southern Thailand.
A maid discovered the bodies Friday morning after the women didn't answer their door for several days, according to The Phuket News.
Thai officials quickly ruled out foul play and the bodies were sent to the police medical examiner's office in Bangkok for autopsies.
Lt.- Col. Rat Somboon of Krabi Provincial Police confirmed that "forensic officials found vomit in the room, blood on their lips and gums, and their fingernails and toenails were blue."
In the Belanger sisters' hometown of Pohenegamook, QC, grieving friends and family questioned the actions of Thai authorities.
The women's parents say the autopsy has been delayed for too long and they fear it will be impossible to determine a cause of death.
There's also concern that Thai authorities transported the bodies to Bangkok before the arrival of Canadian embassy officials. There's also word that the hotel room on Phi Phi Island was cleaned too quickly.
Some in the family have suggested officials are trying to cover up a double murder.