Gaby Scanlon, 18.
Police say Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her birthday with friends at Oscar's wine bar in Lancaster on Thursday, when she ordered a steaming cocktail.
She soon suffered extreme stomach pain and was taken to hospital, where she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and had to have emergency surgery to remove her stomach. If she hadn't had the surgery, doctors say she would have died.
She will have to limit her food intake and take vitamin supplements for the rest of her life.
The bar has since taken the drink off the menu.
"The premises involved have fully co-operated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen," a Lancashire Police spokesperson said.
"This is a tragic and life-changing incident for an 18-year-old girl who was celebrating her birthday. The use of liquid nitrogen in bars is not illegal, however, we are continuing to look into the matter and will be working closely with our partners from other agencies."
Liquid nitrogen is the gas nitrogen cooled until it becomes liquid. It is often used to cool drinks and create a steaming effect.
But the liquid nitrogen must be fully evaporated before someone consumes food or drinks prepared with it because it can be fatal to ingest. That's because even though it's not toxic, it's so cold it causes internal frostbite.
The UK's Food Standards Agency issued a warning about the substance.
"The FSA is advising people to take care when drinking cocktails made with this substance," it reads. "We will be making local enforcement officers aware of this practice and reminding businesses of their responsibility to make sure that any food or drink they are serving to the public is safe."